Thursday, April 10, 2008

Rich Chocolate Cake with Ganache topping



I am a wannabe baker - although I never seem to have the right implements - the shiny cake tins of just the correct size, pretty ramekins and such like. But that doesn't stop me from going ahead and taking up baking projects head on which I know I'm usually unsuited for! I've gotten to be quite ok with cakes though ... especially as my little boy loves mucking around with me in the kitchen everytime we make one. We never need to scrub the mixing bowls too hard after we're done - he is really good at helping me with that :)



So just for him, I decided to make this cake on Holi along with the other traditional sweets like ghujiya etc. and his friends and him had a blast blowing out the candles and stuffing their faces with lots of the choco icing.



Ingredients - for the Fudge Cake:
1. 250 g unsalted butter at room temperature
2. 400 g sugar
3. 4 eggs
4 125 g dark cocoa powder (Hintz is especially good and not too sweet)
5. 375 ml milk
6. 500 ml corn oil
7. 10 g baking soda
8. 400 g maida or all purpose flour

For the Ganache:
1. 500 ml fresh cream
2. 50 ml water
3. 500 gm mix of dark and sweet chocolate (any good cooking chocolate brand)
4. 20 ml melted butter

Method - For the Base Cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 160 deg C.
2. Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, oil and milk to the mixture and whisk well by hand or using an automated whisk.
3. Next, add the dry ing (flour, cocoa powder and baking soda) through a seive and slowly fold in taking care to scrape the bottom of the mixing bowl.
4. Grease a cake tin with some butter, dust with sugar to get a caramelised effect on the cake, pour in the mixture and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or till done.



For the Ganache:
1. Break the dark and sweet chocolate pieces and melt over a double boiler (if you don't have one, use a large pan with boiling water and place a smaller pan with the chocolate on top and stir continuously).
2. Boil the cream and water separately and pour over the chocolate.
3. Finally add the melted butter, mix slowly till blended and remove from heat.

Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack. Then using a sharp bread knife, slice horizontally from the centre - spread the ganache on one half, place the sliced half on top and spread the remaining ganache on top of the cake till it is covered. Dust the top with cocoa powder and serve.

9 comments:

Vidya said...

this is decadent... remember that cake batter into which we emptied a lot of Rum??? let's stick to the story that it was a mistake :D
Madhu!!!!! That was 8 years ago!!!! we're OLD!

Finla said...

I love the chocolate cake and by the look of it your son was having a great time licking the pot

Prats said...

Gosh!!!I'm drooling all over the keys here...that cake looks so yummy.
I will try this out ASAP. I am trying to get into the baking mode too...btu never get the rigth things at the right time :(

Sairekha said...

you're such a yummy mummy:) Pun fully intended!!:) That ganache recipe is a life saver... last few times I bought the storemade ones n they turned out so mealy!!!:)

Sairekha said...

by the way... R looks sooperdooper cute!!!:)

aMus said...

ever since you posted this..i come here almost everyday for my daily 'desserts'...

mmmm....looks so yummy...

Cynthia said...

Watching the little one lick from the bowl reminds me so much of my own days in the kitchen with my mom as a kid :)

Archana Doshi said...

looks delicious...the glazing on the top is so mouth waterting. I used to lick up the cake mixture that remained in the mixing bowl as well when i was a child and i do enjoy doing it now as well :)

amna said...

you really should post more often :) that cake looks gooey and delicious!